Friends of the Flagpole Association is a community-based organization established to preserve the historic Ravenna Flagpole and to develop a plan for its long-term maintenance.
The Association shall utilize community volunteers to head three sub-Committees to address specific issues dealing with the preservation of the structure.
Subcommittee #1 --- Public Outreach and Publicity - Community Support for the Flag Pole.
The flagpole is not just an object of local nostalgia. It is a unique structure of more thanlocal significance. The flagpole is most likely the tallest freestanding flagpole in the state of Ohio, and certainly the only one of its type, being a decorative, 19th century structure. It is actually not just a flagpole, but a flagpole poised on top of a dramatic iron display tower. This "double-barreled" approach to the structure magnifies the symbolic importance to the display of the flag.
This subcommittee will organize a fund-raising effort and will work with the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the Ohio Historic Preservation Office on
creating a financial structure and plan to maintain it. This subcommittee’s goals are:
• Develop a program to garner community support for preserving the pole.
• Identify possible community funding and finance sources.
• Develop and Maintain the Website: - RavennaFlagpole.org
Subcommittee #2 --- Historic Fabric, Design and Engineering
This subcommittee will review the engineering audit completed last year and be responsible for the following goals:
• Design and implement a system to provide a security perimeter around the flagpole.
• Identify important structural issues to be addressed.
Subcommittee #3 --- Stewardship - Development of a Plan for long-term Stewardship of the Pole
This subcommittee’s goals are :
• Responsibility - outline current lines of responsibility and control of the flagpole.
• Create a long-term stewardship structure that is feasible and sustainable.
Click here to contact us.